Re: We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will still fall short

I like up2date for some things, synaptic for others.  They both have their merits.  I also suffer with only having a dialup connection (hoping the new WildBlue Satelite service coming online this summer lives up to their hype), and have Fedora on 3 home PCs, and its really a pain -- thought about installing squid just to reduce downloads.  Currently, I bring a laptop to work, update it, and then use partimage to clone it back to the other PCs, keeping my home directory stuff on a different partition.  I'll maybe play with rsynch or some other alternative.

I just got back into using Linux (I used to own/run an ISP that was all redhat linux based, so used to be pretty knowledgable).  I am impressed with the progress, and Fedora Core is very nice -- although a bit finnicky with some hardware.

I first played with a Debian release, and used Synaptic before switching to Fedora.  I agree Synaptic overwhelms with the options.  One thing that I thought would help, and might not be too hard, would be to have the system keep track of what applications/libraries are accessed (like --gasp -- windows add/remove software does, indciates used never, used recently, used often).  Why bother updating stuff that never runs.
I used to be a great programmer, did lots of Unix programming long ago, but have been in management a long time.  But I am playing with QT and maybe someday I'll be able to help with coding, not just ideas.  I noticed one of the project ideas for this list was a GUI for DHCP.  That is one thing I really miss, I feel like a GUI for internet connection sharing and DHCP would be a nice thing.  I'd be interested in helping pull this together once my programming skills are back up to snuff.

One thing the Debian release I used had over Fedora was a nice GUI based firewall as well (Guarddog).  Am curious why this isn't a part of Fedora?

Dave

seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> you're right,
> How about having a default simple non-threatening interface and an
> advance user interface that give more power options. Some of the
> requested feature fit into the threshold on an intermediate user and I
> think are something that new user will need and want to learn to do.
> We just have to be a little friendlier in how we present them to the
> new user.

How about having infinite developer time?

Every feature and component has a cost. If you're working on these
projects then by all means, do it, but if you're just feature requesting
keep in mind the time necessary to implement these items and the
relative utility derived from them.

-sv