ideas for interfaces

I've been mulling over something for a while and I finally sat down and
mucked with gazpacho a bit to see how it could look. I took a look at
the rhythmbox interface and thought about applying that view to
packages, too.

See the attached .glade file.

The idea I was thinking was that you have sources on the left. These are
repos, rpmdb, cds, whatever. You can also have  dynamic views on the
left.
Examples: updates, leaf nodes, installed, available, obsoletes, etc etc

And you finally have a transaction 'view' on the left. This is a target
or destination view.

On the right you have a vertical pane the top of the vertical pane are
comps.xml-based groups listed based on repo with an 'ALL' group and
'nogroup' group

The bottom pane is a list of pkgs, similar to how songs are listed in
rhythmbox.

If you want to do something with a pkg you drag it to the destination
folder.
the idea is that for any type of package (installed or available)
there's only one thing that can be done with it in the transaction.

For example, the only thing you can do with an available package in a
transaction is to install it. Even if you already have another version
of it installed, you still are just installing one and removing the
other. The only thing you can do with an installed package in a
transaction is remove it. So simply dragging and dropping the packages
you want to do something with to the transaction 'view' on the left
should put them in the right state in the transaction.

The only place where that's a bit vague is with dragging and dropping
pkg groups. B/c groups are in a permanently amorphous state in the
current implementation of the groups. That probably needs some revising
but let's not muck with that in this email.

Then you should be able to run the transaction from there.

The glade file attached is a bit rough (okay, extremely rough) but it's
mostly just an idea I've been batting around.

Thoughts?
-sv