Re: ideas for interfaces

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 09:42 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Rhythmbox is getting rid of the "sources" list, and I'm not sure it's
> a hot idea for this, either.  I think something like a source list
> should be in a preferences pane or dialog of some kind.  It'll be a
> somewhat rare occurrance for one to add/remove/change a source, so I
> don't think it deserves such prime real estate.

Where would you put removable media and destinations, then?

I would probably automatically scan removable media.  Just include a quick "One moment while I scan for packages..." message when scanning, since it'd take a moment.

As for destinations?  I'm not sure what you mean by the term.  Where would I install a package except into my running OS?  Do you mean like having an option for something like "rpm --root /foo" ?

I think the first thing that needs to be asked in this whole conversation is "Who is the target audience for this tool?"  All discussion must stem from this, or there probably won't be any good direction for development, other than implementing every one of yum's features in the GUI quasi-randomly.

So Seth, since you're ostensibly going to be doing the bulk of the coding work on this, who's the target audience here?  =)

- JensK

--
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
- Albert Einstein