Re: [Fedora-config-list] Importance of install/remove/update by group interface

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 22:24, seth vidal wrote:
> why would there be a move away from comps? Comps is not a bad system at
> all for groups specifications. The metadata for group arrangements
>
> yum has a comps/yumgroups.xml merge class that takes multiple comps and
> attempts to merge them into on set of groups for all your repositories.

In my first couple of passes through the -packages.comps stuff I did not
see an straight forward way to add new information to the comps data
set.  Thanks for setting me straight.

> > Is the intent to retain backwards compatablity with cdrom/ftp/http rpm sources
> > or will these all become yum repos on different mediums?
>
> I think the goal should be to work on the new metadata format for
> http/ftp rpm sources and cdrom/file sources are easy to deal with
> overall.

I ask this question as I look at the mind numbing number of commandline
options plus the five back ends that up2date has to deal with.  If
feasible, it would easiest if everything was a yum repo.  Then it would
be just a matter of pointing your tool at the repo and
installing/updating.

Thanks
Dave Farning