Re: [Fedora-config-list] Importance of install/remove/update by group interface

> Is the intent to move away from comps.xml towards the package determining
> where it should go in the package heirarchy by itself via its metaData.  In a
> closed scenario such as fedora core the comps.xml probably works fine.  But, in
> a open scenario such as core + extras + 3rd party the comps.xml approach seems to
> fall apart.

why would there be a move away from comps? Comps is not a bad system at
all for groups specifications. The metadata for group arrangements

yum has a comps/yumgroups.xml merge class that takes multiple comps and
attempts to merge them into on set of groups for all your repositories.

> Is the intent to retain backwards compatablity with cdrom/ftp/http rpm sources
> or will these all become yum repos on different mediums?

I think the goal should be to work on the new metadata format for
http/ftp rpm sources and cdrom/file sources are easy to deal with
overall.

-sv