Re: [Fedora-config-list] config questions

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 06:59, Erik Larsson wrote:
> Me and my friend are currently working on a configuration tool the firewall. We
> have a very good id'how too structure the program so it will be very easy to
> configure the firewall without any knowledge about iptables.
>
> When discussing the idea and here some questions:
>
> 1) Is it Python and PyGTK that is the programming language or can we use C/C++?
> (Not that we don't think Python is advanced enough)

Python if at all possible.

> 2) How shall this config tool work with other config tools, especially the
> installer Anaconda?

Since this tool will be more of a system administrator kind of tool, I
don't think that we'd want to integrate such a tool into the installer
or firstboot.

> 3) Does it have to be a text version (TUI) for those who use the console
> installation?

redhat-config-securitylevel already has a TUI, and since the full blown
firewall tool wouldn't be integrated into the installer, there's no need
to worry about console installation.  You could still do a TUI if you
want to, but the text interfaces are pretty limited in what you can do
with the interface.

I think that as long as you cleanly separated the backend code, you
could do a GUI for starters and then see if the demand is there for a
TUI.

Cheers,
   Brent