Re: redhat-config-printer and PPD files

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 01:46:19PM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:

> I know there is a web interface for cups but I also know it does not
> do everything it needs to do. So my question is, would it be
> possible to enhance the cups web interface so that you would get the
> functionality that is needed? that way all you would need is a web
> browser. Even a system without X has lynx.

The trouble with the web interface is that it is ugly.  Yes, it could
be made pretty, but I doubt such changes would be accepted
upstream. :-/

In particular, I very much doubt that the CUPS interface will ever aim
to be 'easy for new user' as opposed to 'offer choice'.  The idea with
redhat-config-printer is to reduce the number of clicks you have to
make with the mouse in order to get a working printer. (In the ideal
case it is none: kudzu has done it for you, with help from the
command-line interface to redhat-config-printer.)

The CUPS web interface will probably never have any sort of remote
printer browsing, such as the SMB browsing currently in
redhat-config-printer, fragile though it is.  I may be wrong.

But I take your point that a web-based interface can overcome the
difficulty with having an easy-to-use interface for Xlib-less
machines.  Perhaps it is worth looking into, even if it a
Fedora-specific patch to CUPS.

Tim.
*/