Re: redhat-config-printer and PPD files

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 09:13:20AM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Tim Waugh wrote:
> >
> > > The alternative is to find a replacement for redhat-config-printer
> > > that *does* configure CUPS directly, and there are several candidates
> > > I think.  Whichever one is chosen would have to be adapted to be a
> > > drop-in replacement.  Kudzu likes to be able to automatically
> > > configure print queues, for instance, and it would be nice not to make
> > > the graphical interface any worse.  And of course the text mode
> > > interface would most likely disappear altogether.
> >
> > One question. If the test mode interface goes away how would you configure
> > a printer on a system without X?? Please do not return us to the days where
> > if we need printing we need X.
>
> Let me clarify what I meant.  Instead of re-writing all of
> redhat-config-printer to directly configure CUPS rather than
> configuring an intermediate database as it currently does, it seem to
> be a better idea to use a pre-existing solution for configuring CUPS.
>
> There is, for example, kups which can directly configure CUPS; or I
> think Ximian is working on a CUPS configuration tool.  But whichever
> solution is chosen, and whenever this happens, we don't want to *lose*
> functionality.
>
> Here is the functionality we have that we don't want to lose but
> might:
>
> * ability to select 'best' driver by consulting foomatic
>
> * ability for kudzu to automatically create queues for detected
>   printers
>
> * text mode interface
>
> These are all things that we currently have, but which might not be
> provided by a replacement solution that configures CUPS directly.
>
> Clearly the most work would be in creating a fully functional text
> mode interface for a tool that doesn't have one.

I know there is a web interface for cups but I also know it does not
do everything it needs to do. So my question is, would it be possible to
enhance the cups web interface so that you would get the functionality that
is needed? that way all you would need is a web browser. Even a system without
X has lynx.