Re: redhat-config-printer and PPD files

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 09:13:20AM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Tim Waugh wrote:
>
> > The alternative is to find a replacement for redhat-config-printer
> > that *does* configure CUPS directly, and there are several candidates
> > I think.  Whichever one is chosen would have to be adapted to be a
> > drop-in replacement.  Kudzu likes to be able to automatically
> > configure print queues, for instance, and it would be nice not to make
> > the graphical interface any worse.  And of course the text mode
> > interface would most likely disappear altogether.
>
> One question. If the test mode interface goes away how would you configure
> a printer on a system without X?? Please do not return us to the days where
> if we need printing we need X.

Let me clarify what I meant.  Instead of re-writing all of
redhat-config-printer to directly configure CUPS rather than
configuring an intermediate database as it currently does, it seem to
be a better idea to use a pre-existing solution for configuring CUPS.

There is, for example, kups which can directly configure CUPS; or I
think Ximian is working on a CUPS configuration tool.  But whichever
solution is chosen, and whenever this happens, we don't want to *lose*
functionality.

Here is the functionality we have that we don't want to lose but
might:

* ability to select 'best' driver by consulting foomatic

* ability for kudzu to automatically create queues for detected
  printers

* text mode interface

These are all things that we currently have, but which might not be
provided by a replacement solution that configures CUPS directly.

Clearly the most work would be in creating a fully functional text
mode interface for a tool that doesn't have one.

Tim.
*/