Re: Self Introduction: Tyler Larson / iptables

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 04:10, Tyler Larson wrote:
> So is there no one else working on a system-config-firewall utility?
> Searching the archives turned up a Matt Jarjoura who showed interest in
> it about a month ago. How did that pan out?
>
> Which brings me to my next question: once you create a new project, how
> do you set it all up officially? You know, project spec, CVS repository,
> project maintainer, etc? Brent, this seems like something you could help
> us with.

We are working on getting an external CVS repo set up, but it's not
available yet.  Probably the best thing to do at this point is to start
working up a skeleton spec and post it to the list.  I like what you've
said so far in terms of target users and such.  You may want to take a
look at
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/specs/redhat-config-packages/ for an example of what a spec might look like.  The example scenarios and the list of tasks can be really helpful in shaping what the tool will be.

> I'd be willing to work as a maintainer if no one else wants the job. I
> have a pretty extensive understanding of networks, protocols, and
> iptables, so this project is right up my alley. But like a number of us
> here, this is my first time ever using python, gtk, et al., and I've
> never created RPM before or any of that jazz.

I'm not an expert in iptables, but I can help out with the Python, gtk,
internationalization and RPM stuff.  But that's all secondary to a
having a spec so we are all on the same page.

Sort of off topic, but one thing I'd like to have is some kind a library
that I could call to see if certain ports are open or closed.  For
example, one common complain of config tools like system-config-nfs is
that they are unaware of the firewall configuration.  It would be really
nice if those tools could make a library call to see if the firewall
will allow those connections through.  If not, the tool should offer to
allow those connections.  Once you have that kind of iptables backend,
creating a firewall GUI is the easy part.  Just a thought.

> Finally, I was wondering how we're supposed to handle communication
> relating to specific projects that we're working on. Should the bulk of
> the communication be routed through the mailing list, or is the list
> just for communication about configuration tools in general? Do we set
> up little project-specific mailing lists, or how does this all work?

I think for the moment, fedora-config-list should be as good a place as
any to discuss these kinds of things.

Cheers,
   Brent