Self Introduction: Tyler Larson / iptables

Name: Tyler Larson

I've been a programmer for about 12 years, now working professionally
writing network-related code in C++. I've been programming for Linux
since 1998, largely in C++ and perl, while doing professional web design
using PHP.

I was attracted to the Fedora project because I regularly use RedHat at
home and at work. I appreciate the progress it has made, but think
there's still a lot left to do.

The iptables configuration project, in particular, interests me because
of my networking background. Since I'd never written a program using
Glade, GTK, or even python, I started building an iptables configuration
project to see how difficult it would be. I think it's a tribute to the
simplicity of the language and development kit, and depth of the
documentation that the first program I've ever written with this system
turned out so well.

I tried downloading and installing other firewall configuration
programs, such as Firestarter. I certainly hope no one is considering
adapting any of the existing applications for Fedora. What we need is an
application with sufficient flexibility that would attract even the
advanced users, but that is extensible enough to allow non-technical
users to configure their computer to do what they want.

If you're currently working on an iptables configuration tool for
fedora, drop me a line. If you'd like to see what I've done so far, you
can download my work-in-progress at www.tlarson.com/fireconf.tar.gz. It
reads and parses the output of iptables-save, parses out the rules
according to the explanations in the iptables HOWTOs and man pages, and
displays the results in an easy-to-understand manner.

Here are some of my thoughts on the project:

* We should use iptables-save and iptables-restore instead of iptables
to retrieve and insert rules into the kernel. The transactional paradigm
of iptables-save and -restore can be incorporated into a GUI much more
cleanly. Also, using iptables-save and -restore removes a lot of the
complexity that you'd otherwise have to deal with.

* We shouldn't attempt to completely hide the underlying rule-based
nature of the netfilter: don't just try to expand the lokkit interface
to do NAT. An interface that gives users the option of creating their
own rules can be user-customized to do anything--we need to avoid
locking the user into performing just a few preset tasks when iptables
allows so much flexibility.

* Common tasks, such as basic system lock-down or configuring masquerade
should be accomplished using easy-to-understand and easy-to-find druids,
but without destroying unrelated firewall rules (like lokkit does).

* Developers should have a clean, straight-forward interface for adding
new configuration druids to automate other common tasks that we may not
have thought of.

* The iptables tool should peacefully co-exist with other related tools.
E.g. I should be able to use lokkit to configure my firewall and use
this new tool to edit the result. It should get all its firewall
information from standard already-in-use sources:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables should continue to work unmodified.