Re: Self Introduction: Tyler Larson / iptables

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 19:56, Shannon --jj Behrens wrote:
> --- Tyler Larson <fedora-config@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Which brings me to my next question: once you create a new project,
> > how
> > do you set it all up officially? You know, project spec, CVS
> > repository,
> > project maintainer, etc? Brent, this seems like something you could
> > help
> > us with.
>
> Sourceforge is always available.
>
> > I'd be willing to work as a maintainer if no one else wants the job.
> > have a pretty extensive understanding of networks, protocols, and
> > iptables, so this project is right up my alley. But like a number of
> > us
> > here, this is my first time ever using python, gtk, et al., and I've
> > never created RPM before or any of that jazz.
>
> I'm very familiar with Python and somewhat proficient with GTK, RPM,
> and firewalls.  I can't promise too much, but especially during the
> next month, I can probably be of some assistance.  I can be especially
> helpful if you give me clear requirements:  I don't want to lead the
> project, but I wouldn't mind using my PyGTK framework to churn out some
> nice code.
>
> Just to reiterate, we're building a simple firewall tool for personal
> use.  We're not trying to reinvent Firewall Builder, or anything else,
> eh?  What's wrong with the "Security Level" configuration utility?

I think people are saying that a more fully featured firewall tool than
system-config-securitylevel would be useful.  I'd still like to see some
more discussion about creating our own tool versus adopting something
like firestarter.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time myself to work on such a tool.
I can try to provide some guidance here and there though.

Cheers,
   Brent