Re: Design spin review

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:49:45 -0800
Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Gnome is always the default desktop environment in Fedora.
That's not true, I think. It's default for the Fedora Desktop Edition
and probably a couple spins, but there are others as well. Recently I
downloaded Security Spin and to my amazement I noticed it uses LXDE
which I previously thought was inferior to the rest... It was a pleasant
surprise though. As a gnome-shell disliker I'd be happy if design suite
used a different DE but I can live with either. I think the proper train
of though should be:
1. Are most apps gtk or qt based?
If qt, go for KDE/KDM.
2. Are they gtk3 or gtk2?
If gtk2, go with XFCE/LightDM.
3. Do we prefer classical desktop environment, or gnome-shell?
If gnome-shell go with GNOME/GDM.
4. Do we need all the functions of gnome, or is a smaller set enough?
If smaller set suffices, go for LXDE/LXDM?, if not, go for MATE/GDM?.

I hope I didn't missed anything.

As for some of the questions raised:
for web-browser and mail client I'd suggest either:
a) firefox/thunderbird (both XUL based)
b) midori/claws (which is what I use)
c) epiphany/evolution (GNOME defaults IIRC)
d) konqueror/kmail (KDE defaults IIRC)

for non-linear video editing, pitivi is a good choice.

Martin