RE: sharing an ext3-partition with windows?

If you have enough power and memory resources on your PC (and enough time to experiment...) you can manage the situation in this way:

1) you have a dual boot system setup with native windows and native linux installed

2) you install vmware on both o.s.

3) on each o.s. you can boot the other o.s. installed on hd, using vmware with the native partition option setup

4) you set up your linux system to share the ext3 fs (or dir) via samba

5) depending on your needs you start linux or windows in native mode and the other o.s in vmware on the same pc and you should be done

NOTE: it could be very tricky, but in the past I managed to have both Linux and windows able to boot on a native partition in vmware. And also you have to buy 2 licences for vmware...

For windows you have to create hw profiles and disable startup of particular applications for your native devices (such as mouse, keyboard, video adapter settings tools, network card monitoring tools) and other things, and I don't know the kind of support from vmware for this.
For Linux you have to manage your X configuration when in native mode and when inside vmware environment.

I used this successfully but with much pain with vmware 2.x, so I don't know the status of the art now that version 4 is out.

To have an overview about the process you can check these links.

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/doc/rawdevices_ws_linux.html

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/doc/acpihal_w2k_ws_linux.html

Bye,
Gianluca