Re: another seriously corrupt ext3 -- pesky journal

Erez Zadok <ezk@fsl.cs.sunysb.edu> writes:

> No kidding.  I have raid5, plus a spare, plus a UPS, and I still got hit.
> People in the area said that there were such terrible power spikes that even
> an average UPS might not have been able to totally filter those out.

There are several UPS types available, off-line (switch to battery when
the power goes down, but bypass as power is there), off-line with
monitoring for irregularities, and on-line. El-cheapo off-line aren't
supposed nor able to suppress spikes. Which one do you use?

Does ext2/ext3 checksum or timestamp meta/administrative data so it can
figure out if a block contains garbage at all?

--
Matthias Andree