RE: sharing an ext3-partition with windows?

Another project is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

Which provide a IFS driver for windows and it is GPL.
But it does not use the libext2fs though. The write support
is very unstable yet. The read support seems OK.

The e2fsproges package has been port to windows as well.
Currently it only compile on cygwin. But you can do fsck
and mke2fs etc. I use debugfs as a poor man's ext2/3 file
system driver for now.

I have been taking this punishment since last years. With the
help of cygwin and gvim/xemacs etc, using windows is not too bad.

Talking about developing on windows, it is kind of pain if the thing
you want is not cover in the MSDN document.

I once tempted to write a windows driver for ext3 file system. The
first step is port the e2fsprogs over windows, which is usable now.
I haven't get enough time and motivation to move on the next step.

> If someone were to actually ask me, I'd probably give permission to
> use libext2fs with a Windows filesystem SDK, as long as the resulting
> driver was given away free of charge.  Of course, I can only speak for

I think you mean the IFS Kit. I thougt about that as well. But the biggest
challenge for me is the IFS Kit itself. IFS kit is really poor documented.
I found it interesting that all the windows driver put the input arguments
in the IRPs. It is should have more overhead than simple function call.
But it seems easier to handle asynchronous IO.

Chris