fsck forced on every system crash

I seem to be just getting more and more lost.  I ran mkinitrd and over-wrote
the existing .img file in /boot/ but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Running "lsmod" confirms that ext3 is not loading, and "modprobe ext3" seems
to work fine so it's not an issue with an uncompiled module.  I don't
understand how this stuff works in any way; any chance I can impose on you
for a slightly more detailed explanation on ensuring ext3 loads at boot?  Or
if I need to RTFM some recommended reading would be appreciated.  Apologies
and thanks very much for all the help you've offered...