To ext3 developers

hi...

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,

--cut--
> > Hardware failure is not possible in this case because everything is smooth
> > under windows 98.
>
> Don't you believe it --- we have had plenty of instances where Linux
> was able to drive the hardware a bit harder than Windows, exposing
> hardware problems that Windows did not see.  There are also plenty of
> cases where there are hardware problems and the manufacturer "solved"
> them by adding a Windows driver to disable the buggy feature.  Just
> because something works in Windows and not in Linux does not mean
> there's no hardware fault.

Hm... well this quantum fireball is the second hdd I try to install rh
7.3. The first one was western digital 80 GB IDE. At first I thought it was
hdd failure. But the second hdd which was previously run on 7.0 and 7.1
without a problem showed the same problem.

--cut--
> An accurate oops message would be useful here.
>
> When things die, are you getting random different error messages, or
> is it always the same message?

Here is the most complete error msg that I was able to catch during
installation in graphic mode:

(got scrolled up)
[<c0134c1d>]
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000
cpu: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c0134c1d>] not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010202
EIP is at (2.4.18-3BOOT)
eax: cfd90900  ebx: 00000000 ecx: cfd95ae0  edx: 00000000
esi: 00014d1f  edi: 00000000 ebp: 00000004  esp: 353de0
ds: 0018  es: 0018 ss: 0018
Process swapper (pid: 1, stackpage=c1353000)
stack: .....
call trace: [<c01387b5>]
[<c0139240>] ------- after this, I omit "[<" and ">]"
c0137ae6
c01392bf
c01b07cf
c013843a
c01476ee
c013bc2b
c014797f
c01477eb
c0147c74
c0105000
c01052ec
c010502a
c0105000
c0106e7a
c010501c

Code: 66 39 43 0c 86 7b 20 0f 85 9c 00 00 00 8b 4b 30 85 c9 of 84

<0> Kernel panic: attempted to kill init!

And here is the error msg if the installation is done in text mode:
(got scrolled up)
c018013b
c018a17c
c0194f69
c018c1ac
c0194f08
c0109839
c0109988
c010bea8
c020a040
c017ea14
co1171a1
c011a135
c0113dd5
c0108eab
c020b72a
c011410b
c0113e10
c01086d8
c020b72a

Code: bad EIP value
<0> Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handle - not syncing

Both error msg can be reproduced. And the values are the same each time.
Just for info if it might help, I used automatic partition, standard packages
for workstation, and LILO MBR. Using disk druids partition option will
generate same error msg.

Halbert Thiodore
thio79@asu.edu