To ext3 developers

Hi,

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:17:34PM -0700, Halbert Thiodore wrote:

> Hm... well this quantum fireball is the second hdd I try to install rh
> 7.3. The first one was western digital 80 GB IDE. At first I thought it was
> hdd failure. But the second hdd which was previously run on 7.0 and 7.1
> without a problem showed the same problem.
>
> [<c0134c1d>]
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops: 0000
> cpu: 0
> EIP: 0010:[<c0134c1d>] not tainted
> EFLAGS: 00010202
> EIP is at (2.4.18-3BOOT)

This is in

>>EIP; c0134c1d <invalidate_bdev+49/130>   <=====
Trace; c01387b5 <kill_bdev+d/24>
Trace; c0139240 <blkdev_put+54/a8>
Trace; c0137ae6 <remove_super+5a/74>
Trace; c01392bf <blkdev_ioctl+f/30>
Trace; c01b07cf <fbcon_scroll+55b/9a4>
Trace; c013843a <do_kern_mount+52/e0>
Trace; c01476ee <do_add_mount+76/128>
Trace; c013bc2b <path_release+f/30>
Trace; c014797f <do_mount+143/160>

which is in the main VFS mount code, not in ext3 at all, and it's an
OOPS, not an assert failure.  Your original message said:

> I've seen several posting regarding assertion failure (I also have that
> problem since rh 7.2 and 7.3!!). Is it a bug or something? This failure can
> happen although we have run fsck. The failure msg can sometimes just pop-up
> from the screen when the computer is idling.

which is describing something _completely_ different.  I'm confused.

--Stephen