Bad directories appearing in ext3 after upgrade 2.4.16 ->2.4.18+cvs

I'm the person who wrote the post with the "ominous end" referenced
below.. I've since stopped using a md raid1 ext3 root partition, but
still use md raid1 home partitions without any trouble.

One thing that I discovered after making this change is that the IDE
drives (Seagate Barracuda IV, 7200RPM, ATA-100) I'm using in the md
array enable write-caching by default. I disabled this with hdparm and
noticed a significant decrease in performance, especially when
resynchronizing the md array after an unclean shutdown. Still, it would
appear that this is the right thing to do if you want to have the best
chance of surviving a power hit.

I don't know if the write-caching on the drives was in any way related
to the problems I saw trying to fsck the md raid1 ext3 root partition,
but I thought I would mention it.

-Darrell