fsck forced on every system crash

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>On May 19, 2002  23:43 -0400, David Chase wrote:
>
>>Hi all, I seem to be having a problem whereby my ext3 filesystem forces
>>a full fsck on every hard system crash.  This takes over 20 minutes on my
>>40GB drive and is driving me nuts.  I've verified that the partition is,
>>in fact, being mounted as ext3 and have tried removing ^has_journal and
>>re-creating the journal file but nothing has worked.  I'm running RH7.2...
>>Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>>

>How did you confirm this?  Via "mount" output, or via "cat /proc/mounts"?
>When e2fsck is run, what reason does it give for running?

Andreas, as soon as I had clicked "send" it occurred to me that I may
not have "confirmed" after all.  "cat /proc/mounts" output the following:

/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0

So I assume you're correct -- I'm not mounting as ext3 after all, hence
the fsck.  Any ideas why the partition is being mounted as ext2?
 Apologies for asking such a simple question in a very technical mailing
list, but I've exhausted the FAQ, the man pages, and several Google
searches...  Besides, even techies start as newbs  :)