Ext3 vs. Reiser?

#include <hallo.h>
Martin Eriksson wrote on Tue Jan 15, 2002 um 05:26:55PM:

> I was just wondering how Ext3 and Reiserfs compare. When I reinstalled =
my
> server (because of a stupid hacker) I took the opportunity to change to
> ReiserFS. And I have to say it's really much faster than Ext3.
>=20
> I don't have benchmarks, but for example, stuff like "make dep" on the =
linux
> kernel is much faster (even though I had enabled write cache when I was
> using ext3).

I have to second this. My last impression of ReiserFS was:

 - needs less IO traffic for meta handling - means less! visible load on
   IDE systems
 - faster recursive searches
 - saves space. In our tests with /usr directories of typical systems,
   ReiserFS wasted <2% space. XFS wasted ~7% and Ext2/3 wasted 16.5
   percent! (typical, with 4kB blocks)

 - Ext2/3 behave worse, Ext3 sometimes better, sometimes even more
   worse. The CPU load while massive disk write operations even
   sometimes makes my mouse and the window manager (which makes some IO
   handling periodicaly, I guess) freeze for few seconds. This did never
   happen with ReiserFS.

> So what's some highlights on Ext3 vs. ReiserFS? I guess the Ext2 compab=
ility
> is one large factor for using Ext3, but otherwise?

 - Stability. ReiserFS changed formats many times, often in
   incompatible ways.
 - Safeness. Ext3 should loose less data on crashes.
 - Same on hardware damages. In past, I had problems with different
   harddisks. e2fsck -c was very often successfully (means, could save
   what was not damaged), only if the directory node has been damaged,
   the file names sometimes got lost and I had to rename them.

   reiserfsck sucked at this point. Note there is also less reliable
   hardware - AFAIK on such systems Reiserfs sometimes is going
   broken. The situation may have changed with the recent ReiserFS code,
   but I would not trust them.

My summary: use Ext3 for important data: /var, /home, /etc, / and
ReiserFS for /usr and other parts which you can easily restore when
something is broken.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--=20
<Angel`Eye> installations anleitung f=FCr intelx86 richtig ?
<Salz> Angel`Eye: Kommt auf deinen Rechner an. Wenn du die Antwort nicht =
wei=DF,
       ist sie ja.                                                       =
    =20
                                        -- #debian.de