AW: Separating different ecryptfs mounts

> Betreff: Re: Separating different ecryptfs mounts
>
> My apologies for the long delay.
>
> On 2014-09-25 10:48:23, Christian Stüble wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had an error in my configuration, see below:
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014, 10:10:58 schrieb Christian Stüble:
> > > Hi Tyler,
> > > hi List
> > >
> > > we did some more tests to find out whether there are other
> > > alternatives than adding another option and we found some
> > > interesting behavior I do not
> > > understand:
> > >
> > > When mounting the example scenario given below:
> > >
> > > 	plain1 -> raw1
> > > 	plain2 -> raw2
> > >
> > > as normal Linux user using sudo and passphrase-based encryption I
> > > get the result as required:
> > >
> > > 1) The user can write/read files to/from plain1
> > > 2) The user can write/read files to/from plain2
> > > 3) Files exchanged between raw1 and raw2 cannot be read.
> > > 4) The root, however, can read files exchanged between raw1 and
> > > raw2
> > >
> > > It this an intended behavior? It seems that ecryptfs only uses the
> > > keys directly assigned to the mount for decryption for normal
> > > users, but all keys for the root user.
> > This behavior is still unclear to me.
>
> I can't reproduce this behavior. I can move the files between the
> lower mount points and read the files out of each upper mount point.
>
> As I mentioned before, directly modifying the lower mount point while
> eCryptfs is mounted is not supported and may result in data loss. You
> should unmount the eCryptfs layer before modifying the lower mount point.
>
> One thing to check is that you have both mount keys in each session:
>
> $ keyctl show
> Session Keyring
>  965589071 --alswrv   1000  1000  keyring: _ses
>  155596823 --alswrv   1000 65534   \_ keyring: _uid.1000
>  589053956 --alswrv   1000  1000       \_ user: 253ca7e88811d184
>  760940678 --alswrv   1000  1000       \_ user: 72c0078c0eaa7eec
>
> Different distributions use the kernel keyring and the pam_keyinit PAM
> module differently. eCryptfs searches the user session keyring. You'll
> only be able to read files created under mounts whose key(s) are in
> the current user session keyring. Doing things like opening a new SSH
> session may result in a new user session keyring, depending on how your system is configured.

Hi Tyler,

I have a question related to the use case Chris is describing. I have seen that at kernel-level, there is an additional mount option "ecryptfs_mount_auth_tok_only" which forces ecryptfs to only use the keys specified by 'ecryptfs_sig' and 'ecryptfs_fnek_sig' for *decryption* of files (as I understand it is by default only used for encryption of newly created files under the given mount point).

Can you clarify the (implementation) state of that option? I thought that is a potential way to restrict what keys are used for individual mount points?

Thanks for your help,
Anna