Re: Separating different ecryptfs mounts

Hello,

I had an error in my configuration, see below:

Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014, 10:10:58 schrieb Christian Stüble:
> Hi Tyler,
> hi List
>
> we did some more tests to find out whether there are other alternatives than
> adding another option and we found some interesting behavior I do not
> understand:
>
> When mounting the example scenario given below:
>
> 	plain1 -> raw1
> 	plain2 -> raw2
>
> as normal Linux user using sudo and passphrase-based encryption I get the
> result as required:
>
> 1) The user can write/read files to/from plain1
> 2) The user can write/read files to/from plain2
> 3) Files exchanged between raw1 and raw2 cannot be read.
> 4) The root, however, can read files exchanged between raw1 and raw2
>
> It this an intended behavior? It seems that ecryptfs only uses the keys
> directly assigned to the mount for decryption for normal users, but all
> keys for the root user.
This behavior is still unclear to me.

> However, if I do the same setup (sudo etc.) using the openssl module,
>
> 1) A normal user cannot even write files into plain1 or plain2. I get
> a "socket not connected" error.
> 2) Root can write/read files into plain1/plain1
I just noticed that the difference is that ecryptfsd has to run as the user
who accesses the ecryptfs file system. It is possible to run multiple
ecryptfsd in parallel (one for each user)?

Best regards,
Chris

--
Sirrix AG security technologies - http://www.sirrix.com
Dipl.-Inform. Christian Stüble  eMail: stueble@xxxxxxxxxx

Vorstand: Ammar Alkassar (Vors.), Christian Stüble, Markus Bernhammer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Harald Stöber
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Homburg/Saar, HRB 3857 Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action
based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and