Re: [WHY SUCH DELAY!] Touch Bar support for T2 Macs

Hi Benjamin

I’ve noticed the DRM folks also have requested a lot of changes in the drm bit.

I really appreciate that finally we got some review on the patches, irrespective of whether it was acceptance/rejection/change.

Anyways, since the hid-multitouch changes are needed only for the DRM driver, I’ll for the time being fix up the basic Touch Bar mode driver for upstream. Let’s get it done first, and at least make the upstream kernels be able to at least use the Touch Bar, even if it is in basic mode. I’ll figure out the other macOS mode driver later, and will send it some time later then.

> On 27 Sep 2024, at 8:52 PM, Benjamin Tissoires <bentiss@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Sep 26 2024, Aditya Garg wrote:
>> It has been more than a month since I've sent this patch set and I haven't got a clear yes or not for the same. I understand maintainers are busy people, but I'd really appreciate if I get some response for this series of patches from the HID and DRM maintainers.
>
> Please look at the time. You sent this a month ago, while v6.11-rc4 was
> out the next day.
>
> I was personally taking time off and came back at the end of August
> (roughly at rc6).
> This is then a problematic time to merge new drivers because they won't
> have enough time to be in linux-next before they are sent to Linus.
>
> Also some subsystem are more strict in term of what can go in and when,
> and IIRC drm had been strict regarding that because it is heavily making
> use of sub-subsystems, and they need time to put back everything
> together for sending it to Linus.
>
> Then, when -rc7 is out, I bet no maintainers will take new drivers for
> the next 3 weeks:
> - the final version will be out the next week, meaning not enough time
> to test in linux-next
> - while the merge window is opened, we are not allowed to take any N+1
> material, or this will break everybody testing system.
>
> Merge window is closing this Sunday, but I realized that there was a
> regression in HID-BPF which breaks the CI, so at the earliest your new
> drivers will be taken at the end of next week.
>
> So yeah, I understand it can be frustrating somehow, but please avoid
> all caps in your subject prefix, this really put other people on their
> nerves for nothing.

For the above, I understand and was well aware of the rc6/7 merge windows during those days, and that was the reason I was waiting quite patiently.

Talking about caps in the subject, I apologise for that, my intention was definitely not to "put other people on their nerves for nothing.”

Cheers

Aditya