Re: Command failed with code -1 (wrong or missing parameters)

On 19 Oct 2019 13:44 +0200, from 400thecat@xxxxxx (Fourhundred Thecat):
>> This is the first problem - why you do not have kernel userspace crypto API enabled?
>
> What is the name of the CONFIG_ option of the kernel userspace crypto API ?

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/crypto/Kconfig?h=v4.14.146#n16
indicates that it should be CONFIG_CRYPTO. You'll probably need some
others as well, depending on how you actually plan to use LUKS. At an
absolute minimum, I would expect you'd need one of the
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES variants as well as CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1 when running
the LUKS utilities with defaults (AES, SHA1).

>>> # Udev is not running. Not using udev synchronisation code.
>>> # Device-mapper backend running with UDEV support disabled.
>>
>> Why are not using udev? (Again, it should work but it is quite problematic situation.)
>
> I am using the "kernel udev"
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT

No, CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is independent of udev. Note the kernel
configuration help text on CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, which says in part:

#  It [the devtmpfs file system] provides a fully functional /dev directory, where usually
#  udev runs on top, managing permissions and adding meaningful
#  symlinks.
#  In very limited environments, it may provide a sufficient
#  functional /dev without any further help. It also allows simple
#  rescue systems, and reliably handles dynamic major/minor numbers.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/base/Kconfig?h=v4.14.146#n29

Note the _where usually udev runs on top_ and _very limited
environments_ and _may_. That's quite a few caveats already in those
two sentences.

Of course, nothing says you absolutely _have_ to use udev, or build a
kernel with everything and the kitchen sink, but you're kind of going
against the stream by having a highly unusual system configuration
(especially if it's also a minimal configuration), and should expect
to have to put in more effort in such a situation than if you were
running a more common configuration.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
  “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person