Re: Command failed with code -1 (wrong or missing parameters)

On 19/10/2019 13:44, Fourhundred Thecat wrote:
> On 19/10/2019 12.10, Milan Broz wrote:
>>
>> Could you please try current cryptsetup git version? Or as least released cryptsetup 2.2.1?
>
> it will take me some time to try the current git version
>
>> I think we will need much more info and reproducer. Is it some distro kernel, or you
>> are compiling it yourself? (There are some kernel features not compiled-in apparently.)
>
> it is custom kernel
>
>> Any more kernel patches applied (looks like grsecurity?)
>
> yes, with grsecurity patches
>
>>> # Checking if cipher aes-xts-plain64 is usable.
>>> # Userspace crypto wrapper cannot use aes-xts-plain64 (-95).
>
> sorry, what exactly is missing ?
>
>> This is the first problem - why you do not have kernel userspace crypto API enabled?
>
> What is the name of the CONFIG_ option of the kernel userspace crypto API ?

Exact config options changed in recent kernel versions, but it should be
CONFIG_CRYPTO_USER or in older kernels also CRYPTO_USER_API_SKCIPHER.

And I think I see the problem now - for LUKS2 (similar to Truecrypt compatibility in cryptsetup)
you have to enable these kernel options.
Alternative is to compile (configure option) cryptsetup with --disable-kernel_crypto.

For your use case it would be simpler to enable that kernel option.

We should detect (and use fallback to older keyslot processing) better though...

Milan