Re: concurrency

Hi Hugh,

quite frankly, what you are doing is likely to corrupt your
filesystem beyond recovery pretty fast. It will also corrupt
data. Filesystems are _not_ designed to have changes on the
underlying block-layer without being notified. The only case
where this is safe is a read-only filesystem. You are tampering
with the fundamental assumptions the filesystem-designers
have to make.

If you want a filesystem that is not read-only to be visible
in several places, you need to distribute it at or above the
filesystem layer. Nothing else works.

That said, depending on your use-case, there may be options.
One is a read-only export and a different mechanism for
updates. You could tunnel NFS over OpenVPN or SSH or the like.
You may also be able to use rsync/rdiff-backup or even SVN
or git to synchronize data.

But putting the raw, LUKS-encrypted block device out there,
mapping it in different machines and and then mounting
read-write it is not a viable solution and cannot be one.
Sorry. This is a case where security takes some effort that
cannot be avoided.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx