Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

I know that mdraid uses an events counter and checksum, probably Neil Brown could clarify on the amount of updates. Never had problems either, then again I think that mdraid signatures are by a magnitute smaller than a LUKS header (mdadm signature/header is 1 sector). The checksum of course is a good idea, to detect if the 'newer' header is corrupted or partially written.

Concerning disks, I thought with ACS2/ATA-8 real write barriers were introduced. On the other hand I've seen disks returning successfull reads with long zero-burst-errors undetected - no fun. I always wondered how a HDD exactly behaves when power fails, while a sector is in transit. My best hope is, that the CRC at the end of the sector does not match and an error is returned on the next read?

Regards

-Sven