Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Might be, or I was just unable to communicate my thoughst properly.

The first paragraph rather commented on Robert's post. He talked about LVM and I wanted to point out that LVM is not a good example of how to properly handle resizing, as it fails to properly resize for multiple metadata locations. (A secondary header implies that all changes on both headers need to be atomic and in sync. While this is doable, LVM clearly shows, that it is not trivial, otherwise it would certainly be available as feature by now).

The second paragraph commented on your statement regarding filesystem resizing the way LVM handles it (lvm --resize). You stated this would limit the possible filesystems in the dm-crypt container where a resize could be done. I agreed that it is limited to those supporting online resizing. LVM uses fsadm which in turn uses the filesystem's API to do the resize operation. The operation is then commenced by the fs driver. You already said before, that you rather recommend to recreate the filesystem. If one goes this path, then there is no need for a resize operation on dm-crypt's side either. If you recreate the fs, then you can aswell just recreate the dm-crypt container instead of resizing it.

IMHO a dm-crypt resize operation only makes sense, if you plan to resize the filesystem aswell. Otherwise just backup and recreate.

Regards

-Sven