Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

On 02/03/2016 08:46 PM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> Really looking forward to the discussion, Milan.
>
> Personally I'd love to see FEC extensions in a v2 on-disk-format.

Hi Sven,

If you mean FEC (forward error correction, using Reed-Solomon code)
support for dm-verity, that's not directly related to LUKS2. In fact
it is kernel feature (and it will be supported in next major veritysetup version,
just the FEC branch need a lot of cleanup before I can merge it).

Anyway, I do not like much the way how it implemented but it is already
in mainline kernel so it is just waste of time to complain again :)

(Read dm-devel if you are interested, thread
"dm verity: add support for error correction" from November last year.)

I have never thought of using FEC for dm-crypt, anyway, if it is implemented
as a separate layer below dmcrypt, it could work (not the case today,
FEC is integral part of dm-verity).

Anyway, if you have some real use cases for FEC (and specifically some
real-world examples of data corruption it can fix), please share it, I am
very interested to see that. (I know the problem exist and that FEC could
be useful but seems nobody is able provide any hard data...)

Milan