Re: Basics

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 16:15:34 CEST, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2015 16:08 +0200, from arno@xxxxxxxxxxx (Arno Wagner):
> >> Whether is 'cleft cam synod lacy yr wok' more secure than 'nXRUzbL6' (a
> >> random 'pwgen' generated password)?
> >
> > Also refer to FAQ Item 5.1. The first pasphrase will have something
> > like 13...29 bits of entropy,
>
> Now I'm curious. Given that 6 × log2(6^5) ~ 77.6, and Diceware uses a
> 6^5 word dictionary, how did you arrive at the range 13 through 29
> bits of entropy?
>
> Note that even when using the English Diceware word list, you cannot
> assume the same entropy per character or word as in English prose
> precisely because the advice for generating Diceware passphrases
> specifically suggest _repeating the process_ if one ends up with a
> passphrase that actually makes sense.

I have no idea what Diceware does, and there was no reference to
this being a Diceware-generated passphrase. If it is, the
calculation is different.

Ok, judging from their website: 8000 words gives them 13 bit
per word. Ok, with that they are at 77 bits for said passphrase,
which is much better and likely secure.

The difference to ordinary words is most likely due to them
having chosen words far shorter than is average in english.

Regards,
Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx