Re: Basics

Oh, yeah, you are right. That part was clear and therefore I forgot to
write it down. I meant:
cryptsetup -v --cipher aes-xts-plain64 --key-size 512 --hash sha512
--iter-time 2000 --use-random (--verify-passphrase) luksFormat /dev/sdXY

I don't know 'verify passphrase' is justified or not. I guess I'll use
one of the password generators.

I did not mention, this is a laptop, so it spins 5400 revolutions per
minute. My data is not encrypted now, and I should securely erase it as
you suggested too (against forensic analysis). Is

cryptsetup open --type plain /dev/sdXY dummy --key-file /dev/random
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/dummy
rm /dev/mapper/dummy

sufficient,  or I should use shred or srm beforehand?
(Time is not that important as security, but since this is a
5400 1 TiB HDD, I bet srm would overwrite this for days)

According to the ArchWiki, the dd block size could be larger than
default. It comes from this that the upper command may exit before
wiping the last blocks if a larger block size is used. How could
I prevent this or make sure everything is overwritten?

Thank you!
Mike