Re: Basics

Thank you for your answer!
Let me summarize what I have learned so far.

The cipher key size doesn't impact on disk space. Maybe it might impact
on speed; aes-xts 256b was 141.5MiB/s while aes-xts 512b was 108.5MiB/s.
Twofish is a riddle why it's so fast.
I don't know how reliable this is, but
dd bs=1M count=512 if=/dev/zero of=test conv=fdatasync gave me this
result:
536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 18.2785 s, 29.4 MB/s
(Without fdatasync I got 572 MB/s, which obviously is not true)
So according to the dd result, I could choose any cipher, even serpent
would not slow my system down.

Since iteration time means millisecond here, it doesn't matter which
hash I choose.
cryptsetup -h sha1   -i 1000 ...
cryptsetup -h sha512 -i 1000 ...
both should take 1 second, just sha1 has 644088 iterations per second
(on my computer) while sha512 only 321254.
Isn't sha1 safer in this case? I thought the more iterations, the
better/safer.
I still don't understand if -i just the number of milliseconds, why does
it differ if I change the CPU. Isn't 1000 milliseconds, 1000 milliseconds
everywhere?

Thank you for the hint about passwords/passphrases.
Whether is 'cleft cam synod lacy yr wok' more secure than 'nXRUzbL6' (a
random 'pwgen' generated password)?
I thought I was going to use the same password as my login password, so
I wouldn't have to enter 2 passwords during every boot.