Re: Basics

On 27 Sep 2015 16:08 +0200, from arno@xxxxxxxxxxx (Arno Wagner):
>> Whether is 'cleft cam synod lacy yr wok' more secure than 'nXRUzbL6' (a
>> random 'pwgen' generated password)?
>
> Also refer to FAQ Item 5.1. The first pasphrase will have something
> like 13...29 bits of entropy,

Now I'm curious. Given that 6 × log2(6^5) ~ 77.6, and Diceware uses a
6^5 word dictionary, how did you arrive at the range 13 through 29
bits of entropy?

Note that even when using the English Diceware word list, you cannot
assume the same entropy per character or word as in English prose
precisely because the advice for generating Diceware passphrases
specifically suggest _repeating the process_ if one ends up with a
passphrase that actually makes sense.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
OpenPGP B501AC6429EF4514 https://michael.kjorling.se/public-keys/pgp