Re: nuke password to delete luks header

On 17.01.2014 15:27, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Am 17.01.2014 14:12, schrieb Arno Wagner:
> >>
> >> Same logic applied, even the existence of this discussion is a risk by
> >> itself. It proves that people might use a patched cryptsetup with added
> >> nuke feature already.
> >
> > Yes, it is. That is one of the reasons why I strongly recommend
> > not taking ecrypted data into danger at all and making sure all
> > unused space on storage media is zeroed.
>
> While in general I agree to your suggestion, Matthias' point rather
> seems like a non-argument to me.
>
> I agree that one should consider possible negative implications of wrong
> usage of the feature in question. But I don't agree that the risk
> created by "documented existance of such a feature" is an argument
> against implementing it.

There is a difference, it is relativly easy to prove you don't have
anything encrypted(*), but it's hard to prove you didn't use a
documented part of the encryption software you are using.

So, the mere existance of encryption software doesn't increase the risk
of people not using encryption software as there is a "provability" of
not using encryption. The same "provability" is NOT given in the case of
"nuking" or e.g. the "Hidden Volumes"-Feature of Truecrypt.

*: Ignoring Steganography

--

Matthias