Re: nuke password to delete luks header

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 15:51:16 CET, Heiko Rosemann wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 02:12 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> >>
> >> Same logic applied, even the existence of this discussion is a
> >> risk by itself. It proves that people might use a patched
> >> cryptsetup with added nuke feature already.
> >>
> >> Kind regards, jonas
> >
> > Yes, it is. That is one of the reasons why I strongly recommend not
> > taking ecrypted data into danger at all and making sure all unused
> > space on storage media is zeroed.
>
> ...which could, by the same logic applied earlier, make the LEO at the
> border suspicious of you having destroyed evidence. Unless you provide
> a proof of purchase, showing that the hard-drive is in fact new and
> therefore still factory-zeroed.

That is not likely to happen. First, it is only the UNused space
to be zeroed, and second, the LEO is not a forensics expert. The
zeroing is not for the LEO, but for some forensics tools
he may be able to hook up  or some real forensic examination.

And there is nothing wrong with haing only zeros and non-encrypted
data. Having a lot of zeros in a place where a header ro encrypted
data would be might be a different story. But here we run into
issues. For example, while it is recommended to overwrite a new
LUKS volume (on the decrypted side), it is not done automatically.
So not zeroing the LUKS header but crypto-blanking it can be just
as problematic.

I would say trying to get clever with encrypted containers
(real-time nuke while a LEO or criminal watches, hidden containers,
etc.) is not a good idea in general at this time. On the other hand,
erasing data while you are free to act does not need trickery
and should be legal (even if many LEOs will not like that).

That is why I proposed to split the discussion: 1. Explicite
erase command 2. "trickery" like an erase-password.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----