Re: nuke password to delete luks header

Ok, here is one proposal:

Lets split this discussion. I think this simplifies things.

1. Have a secure erase that is easy to use. This will
   help anybody that is not a technical person but
   needs to securely get rid of a luks header fast when
   still free to act as thay chose.
   This can just be a key-slot kill for all slots or the like.
   It can also be a full header erase.
   Maybe "cryptsetup luksEraseAll" or something like it
   and requiring a "YES" like luksFormat.

2. Have the option of unlocking a keyslot created with a specific
   option to trigger the function implemented in 1.

I think having 1. generally is good, as it is a dedicated operation
that really does only one thing and does it well, namely making
the LUKS container irrecoverable while the user is still free to
act as they chose. The journalist from the example would only need
to memorize this one command ad an emergency "red button".

For 2. all the pros and cons apply though. I would at the very
least make its presence a compile-time option and put very strong
warnings that this is dangerous in the documentation. It may still
be desirable to not have 2. at all (I think it is so, as it does more
harm than good), as it really is only something useful when already
not free to act or under close superwision of what command one types.
And that is a situation that is highly problematic and we cannot even
come close to help the user mastering this situation.

As tool-makers we have a responsibility to balance functionality
and risks as we understand the tool better than most of the users.
Of course, the user may understand the situation he finds himself
in better than we do (or not), but that is why it is a balance.
Neither "deny everything even a bit riksy" nor "allow everything"
is morally right for a tool that is mainly used by non-experts.

But please, keep the discussion going by any means, especially
for cases where my function 2. is needed when 1. is already
available.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx