Re: md-raid5+lvm+dm-crypt+kvm: one streaming write starves all reads

> I think earlier you (or someone else in this thread?) were mentioning that the slowdown is a
> function of array speed (higher is worse) and processing power (slower is worse).

It certainly seems that way, though I don't have enough data-points to
be able to call it a function.
Actually I've tried to find a way to put a hard cap on a block
device's speed in order to test this but there doesn't seem to be an
easy solution, or one that would allow throtteling I/Os to/from the
dm-crypt mapper device itself.

> With AES hardware acceleration coming to mainstream x86 with the next generation of Intel
> boards, would you expect the issue to be allayed?

Maybe. I've no idea how much benefit AES-NI has in practice.

Hopefully that isn't going to be an excuse for not impementing
multi-threaded dm-crypt. Is there a technical/algorithmical reason why
multiple cores couldn't work on a single dm-crypt device? Even if
larger requests can't be (easily) split, maybe unrelated ones could?
Hell, even a fixed mapping of addresses to cores would probably help.

> I expect the last scenario scales up to a core/disk ratio of one?

The test box has only two cores, so that's 2:1. Won't be able to test
1:1 for a while since my only quadcore is in use right now.

> Is the advantage still there, when you've only got one core available?

Is there a way to tell the kernel to disable one core at boot? The
BIOS doesn't have an option for it on this board.

Thanks,

C.