Re: md-raid5+lvm+dm-crypt+kvm: one streaming write starves all reads

You are not alone there.

But I fear there is no single flush timeout, I was trying to hunt
something like it down for a while without success.

The tuneable you gave determines how often pdflush daemons wake up,
another one (with centisecs in its name) gives a bound (or threshold)
after what time a dirty page is eligable at all (I'd assume that this
one needs to be smaller, to force all pages that went dirty since the
last pdflush wakeup, to be queued for a flush). Another tuneable gives
some sort of a filling ratio of dirty pages (in respect to whole system
memory) at which a flush is done (always? only when a daemon was woken
up beforehand?). Unfortunately each tuneable is documented on it's own,
there is no info, if all additional criteria is or-ed, xor-ed or and-ed
(or even a mixture?) and there is no single equation giving the whole
picture (well except somewhere in the source probably) - at least I
couldn't find one.

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: And I might be wrong, but I fear the I/O scheduling queue
discipline could influence real world disk I/O patterns as well (In
respect to the original post).