Re: md-raid5+lvm+dm-crypt+kvm: one streaming write starves all reads

Sorry for being silent so long, I did a lot of testing ... I've even
set up a dedicated testing box cobbled together from spare parts :)

1) It's not kvm, I took that out of the mix.
2) dm-crypt is at least a co-culprit since lvm on md works fine.
3) Tuning changing the I/O scheduler and/or the /proc/sys/vm/ settings
does little.

So I tried playing with the layering:

a) dm-crypt on lvm on md (1 kcryptd / LV): bad
b) lvm on dm-crypt on md (1 kcryptd): worse
c) lvm on md on dm-crypt: (1 kcryptd / physical disk): excellent

The last case does not have any abnormal starvation issues at all and
performance is near the raw speed for the array. It's a landslide,
even on the dual core testbox (~110 MiB/s per core, max. 60 MB/s per
disk).

If only it weren't so ugly. Data is now written n/(n-1) times in the
whole-stripe case, I don't even want to think about read-modify-write
... Multicore dm-crypt would be really nice to have now ...

I've opened an LKML thread in the hopes that something can be done
outside dm-crypt but so far, not much ...

Thanks,

Chris