Re: LUKS/dm-crypt vulnerable?

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 12:34:37PM +0200, Michael Gebetsroither wrote:
> * Marc Ballarin <Ballarin.Marc@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Only booting from a trustworthy medium would help and the same is true
> > in the case of truecrypt.
>
> No, even this does not help.
> As it's too easy to get code persistent in some location on the
> computer which is run on every boot.

Well, it is not absolute, but it can help driving the attacker
effort way up. There is limited capacity to have malcode hiding
in the BIOS FLASH (for example), and it cannot easily be made to
work with every OS. The trusted system will still have to work
and the malcode will somehow have to extract keys and/or passphrase.
With a Linux system, this basically requires virtualization.
If the trusted medium uses alternate password entry methods,
simple sniffing of keystrokes will not be enough and the effort
to still get the password may be prohibitively high.

>From my observations the really good potential attackers work
for government agencies or in research and will not attack
low value targets, such as hosts storing personal data of
individuals and booting from a trusted medium should usually
be pretty safe for individuals.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx