Re: LUKS/dm-crypt vulnerable?

On 10.08.2009, Luca Berra wrote:

> To achieve this, they will have to hand it back, wait for you to type
> your password to boot, then steal it again :P

I was nearly clear over that, but had to ask anyway, because it was so many
disinformation. I did read that "stoned" could hook into the BIOS and
capture some traffic from there which should be enough to get access to
the key. I just couldn't believe that this is possible when the machine is
powered off.

Besides, I'm not using Truecrypt at all (since I do not use Windows), but
my thoughts went almost immediately to LUKS/dmcrypt. I always power my
Laptop completely down when no longer in use, after my former one got
stolen I'm somewhat sensible now. (There's my online bank account, a lot
of business email, letters, documents and so on...).

> Truecrypt developers said that was a moot point, because, if someone is
> able to replace the boot sector it could well replace the code that
> checks its integrity.

..which is not true, of course. I can e.g. have a copy of the boot
sector/MBR on a memory stick, together with a checksum file of /boot.
Copying the first 512 bytes and checking it against the checksum of the
known good bootsector on the memory stick will detect any manipulation immediately.
A simple "dd if=mbr_copy of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1" will cure the problem.