how stable is the libcryptsetup API?

Hello,

in debian we got a request to include libcryptsetup into the debian
package. up to now the library was intensionally removed from the
package as its API was far to unstable for being used.

I don't have much experiences in packaging and maintaining libraries
yet, and if I include the library, I at least have to check for library
symbol changes at upgrades.

thus I would be interested in the future plans of Clemens and Milan for
(lib)cryptsetup. do you intend to continue with API changes every now
and then?

for example the proposed change to use libgcrypt for hash management for
sure will change the API of libcryptsetup again, correct?

and even if the API doesn't change with every release, at least the ABI
does. libcryptsetup neither seems to have a soname nor a symbols file,
so maintaining ABI compability and all the stuff seems to be a lot of
work.

so finally my question is: do you suggest to include the libcryptsetup
shared library into distributions like debian, or should i wait with
that until the library interface becomes more stable?

greetings,
 jonas