Re: how stable is the libcryptsetup API?

Jonas Meurer wrote:
> in debian we got a request to include libcryptsetup into the debian
> package. up to now the library was intensionally removed from the
> package as its API was far to unstable for being used.

yes, I know about that problem and there are already some new functions
which be added into libcryptsetup which are more stable-API  friendly.

> I don't have much experiences in packaging and maintaining libraries
> yet, and if I include the library, I at least have to check for library
> symbol changes at upgrades.
>
> thus I would be interested in the future plans of Clemens and Milan for
> (lib)cryptsetup. do you intend to continue with API changes every now
> and then?

I want to bump version  of library and then try to keep API
stable, resp at least increase version when anything changes.
Not easy with huge exported crypt_options though.
No new exported function should use that structure - but we must keep it
because there are users of it.

> for example the proposed change to use libgcrypt for hash management for
> sure will change the API of libcryptsetup again, correct?

No, this change should not cause any libcryptsetup API changes, hash
field is already part of crypt_options (just is hardocoded to "sha1").
(only libcryptsetup is exported, not libluks)

> and even if the API doesn't change with every release, at least the ABI
> does. libcryptsetup neither seems to have a soname nor a symbols file,
> so maintaining ABI compability and all the stuff seems to be a lot of
> work.

That must change. I want to release cryptsetup 1.0.7 which will be stable
release (not changing libcryptsetup at all) and later adress these problems
in version 1.1 or so.

> so finally my question is: do you suggest to include the libcryptsetup
> shared library into distributions like debian, or should i wait with
> that until the library interface becomes more stable?

Well, I use Debian myself too, so I would like to see libcryptsetup there,
but I know about the API break in the past - so I guess the reason why
libcrypsetup was removed is still there.

(It is distro maintainer decision only but If there are no lib users now,
probably better wait for next release where we will try to address the problem
somehow. On the other side, other distros provides lib despite these problems...)

Milan