Re: LVM over dmcrypt or dmcrypt over LVM

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM, davide <lists4davide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Which one do you think is better? And why?
> I would like to use the faster one, my crypto need are quite basic: I
> would avoid that someone stealing my laptop gets access to all my data
> and password.

In terms of the 'faster' option, I think LVM over crypt would be more
performant (unless you are on an SMP system), since there is only one
container for dmcrypt to manage. That has been my experience, at
least, and I've tried both configurations you propose on a dual-core
system.

Which option offers more security depends upon your implementation. If
you opt for crypt on LVM, and use an /etc/crypttab or some other
automatic system to decrypt LVs without prompting for passphrases,
then gaining access to the root LV will yield access to the rest.

If speed is your primary concern, I think you'll be more satisfied
with one crypted partition as the LVM PV, but I have no benchmarks to
back that up, only my anecdotal experience.

Anyone else have opinions on the performance question? Or better yet,
some benchmarks?

-eli