Re: LVM over dmcrypt or dmcrypt over LVM

Eli Heady <eli.heady@...> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM, davide <lists4davide@...> wrote:
> > Which one do you think is better? And why?
> > I would like to use the faster one, my crypto need are quite basic: I
> > would avoid that someone stealing my laptop gets access to all my data
> > and password.
>
> In terms of the 'faster' option, I think LVM over crypt would be more
> performant (unless you are on an SMP system), since there is only one
> container for dmcrypt to manage. That has been my experience, at
> least, and I've tried both configurations you propose on a dual-core
> system.

I've a normal Centrino Core Duo (with no `2'). So I should find out the system a
little more performant. I'll try it.

> If speed is your primary concern, I think you'll be more satisfied
> with one crypted partition as the LVM PV, but I have no benchmarks to
> back that up, only my anecdotal experience.
>
> Anyone else have opinions on the performance question? Or better yet,
> some benchmarks?

I'll wait for a while for more answers or benchmarks and then I'll reinstall all
the stuff.

I read the algorithm benchmarks too, very interesting. I think I'll go with a
shorter key next time (128 should be enough for my needs)

Thanks a lot.