Re: after sidux upgrade: "Can not access device" with 1 of 4 luks partitions

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 04:48:07PM +0100, orinoco wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:23:30 +0100
> Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:15:32PM +0100, orinoco wrote:
> > [...]
> > So the header looks good but open fails. Most likely
> > is a defective key block. No way to repair that.
>
> Too bad!
> I guess dm-crypt did overwrite the luks header with a random key for a
> swap partition, but I'd like to know what did actually happen, and if
> there is a chance to brute-force-attack single bytes in case the key in
> the header were not overwritten completely.

Single bytes are definitely possible. However the key-setup
(making the key from the header data) is done in a way that
requires significant time. This servers to make brute-forcing
more difficult, by increasing the time it takes to verify
a guess.

Also, you need to take into account that change location is also
missing bits, e.g. if you know exactly one byte was overwritten in a
2MB key block (if I remember this correctly, LUKS uses this size), you
have 8 bits of data to guess and 21 bits of position, i.e. 29 bits
overall.

> > > I would consider it "nice to have it back" and worth some effort.
> > > It isn't (or wasn't) vital information.
> > Good to know. I think you have done all the easy steps.
> > My advice is to cut your losses and start over with a new
> > encrypted partition.
>
> I guess I will keep it as-is-as as a memorial. And maybe quantum
> computers in the future will be able to decrypt the information again
> =:-}

I think Quantum Computing is a scam conducted to get research
money. Somebody I know in Quantum Computing agrees ;-)

> > > There is a "complete" header information I get from luksDump (see
> > > above), but it does not seem to work with luksOpen and the original
> > > passphrase.
> > > BTW I noticed that my system keeps mixing the sdXX device order.
> > > After a reboot it changed again.
> > That is really bad, expecially with automated swap creation.
>
> I turned it off completely although there shouldn't be any partition
> left to mix with it. I'm fed up with encrypted swap.

Understandable. I have run Linux without swap (4GB main memory)
for a long time on my desktop, precisely because on-the-fly
generated encrypted swap struck me as risky. No issues so far.
Wouldn't do that on a machine with higher uptimes though.

> > What I would advise is that you delegate the swap creation
> > to a script, that at least checks partition size before
> > trashing it. You may also want to, e.g., not use the first
> > kB of the partition and put a magic number in there that you
> > also check.
> > Come to think of it, you could also put your swap on an
> > one-partition RAID1 and then access it by its /dev/md<number>
> > (set partition type to autodetection). That should be stable
> > and circumvent your problem.
>
> I will consider that.
> In the sidux form they advised me to label the swap partition. Might be
> another solution to kick off all /dev/sdXX entries in the fstab and
> crypttab files and make mounting unique.

Indeed.

> Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

Arno