Re: after sidux upgrade: "Can not access device" with 1 of 4 luks partitions

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:59:19AM +0100, orinoco wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:34:42 +0100
> Milan Broz <mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > orinoco wrote:
> > > after an auto-software upgrade with siduxcc on an amd64 system on
> > > friday I cannot mount one of four luks partitions any more.
> > > It used to work before the upgrade without any problems:
> > > $ crypsetup luksOpen <device> <mapper>
> > > permanently results in "Command failed: Can not access device".
> > > Sometimes altered with "No key available with this passphrase"
> >
> > This basically means that cryptsetup cannot open the device before
> > any key operation.
> > It can be hw problem (is anything in syslog?) but also some
> > other subsystem can use the device.
> >
> > Try to check "dmsetup table" and "cat /proc/mdstat" if there
> > is not other mapping of the same device - check for major:minor of
> > device (ls -l /dev/<device>).
> >
> > Maybe some clever tools tries to open the device too?
>
> OMG!
> I found the error and I fear an irrevocable data loss:
>
> With the update the kernel switched the internal /dev/sdXX order of the
> hard disks - again. Unfortunately the former /dev/sdb5 was mounted in
> crypttab as encrypted swap with /dev/random as key before all other
> devices. And then I did reboot with the new kernel ... :-(((((((
> I did address the swap partitions with the /dev/sdXX name because there
> was not uuid in ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/ for them .... :-(((((
> That explains everything ... but I fear ...
>
> If anyone has any idea how to restore this partition
> I guess he would be a candiate for nobel price ...

No nobel price, but the real question is how much of the swap
was written to and were the data was written. I have absolutely
no idea how swap space is used with regard to where stuff gets
swapped to, but if you swap usage is low, most of the LUKS
header may still be intact.

There is also the swap signature to be considerd. I do not know
exactly what it looks like, but an experiment with a file of
zeros it looks to me like only the first 4096 bytes hold
management info and that of these very little is written
except onactual swap usage.

>From an other such discussion here, what you need is at least
one key and all its salts, as well as the salt of the master
key. The rest of the header is, I think, less-critical
and may be reconstructable.

So have a look at the LUKS header spec and see what is still there
on your partition.

Unfortunately it looks like the LUKS homepage at
  http://luks.endorphin.org/
is down at the moment. However it seems the PDF with
the on-disk specification is also available here:
  http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/Specification

Rough overview is the figure directly under 1. Overview.
The actual on-disk header in detail is in Figure 1,
and the keyslod description is in Figure 2.

I think you absolutely need the fields at offsets
112 and 132, in addition to a keyslot with
intact salt data and the actual key-block intact.

There may be other fields you absolutely need, but
32-64 bits or so can be brute-forced today without too
much hassle, depending on what actually need to be done
for a try. This still costs significant effort and
may cause significant cost.

The other thing is to think about how much your data is
worth. It may be cheaptest to regard this as a lost
cause from the beginning. Although I would recomment at least
one in-detail look at the header. It may basically still
be there.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx