Re: problems to mount softraid5

Arno Wagner <wagner@...> writes:

> > Lets assume my keyfile is ok (i verified it against a backup).
> > Lets assume, too, the key should unlock the masterkey, because I never played
> > with luksDelKey / luksAddKey.
> >
> > 2 last option may have occured:
> > #1 a data corruption
>
> That would need to be corruption exactly in the key, but nowere
> else. If it is on disk correct once, it does not net corrupted
> on disk. Disk ECC is so that undetected errors do not happen
> in practice. The only way tho get bit-errors is when copying
> from one disk to another. Did you do that? If not, your LUKS
> superblock is very likely uncorrupted.
I created the raid on those disks. No Disk2Disk copy.

> > #2 a setup problem, because i played a little and i am always doing the same
> > nasty failures while trying to uncrypt with Linux LiveCDs. Maybe some Bios
> > settings harm the setup, too.
>
> BIOS should have no influence at all. The liveCD may be the key.
> So you say when creating a LUKS partition with your normal system
> and then try to access with a lifeCD, you get the same error?
I tried other BIOS settings for the SATA controller - no effect.

I created this raid with an ubuntu 6.10 i guess. But i needed to get cryptsetup
/ dmsetup from a repository and i am quiet sure, i updated the versions.

I already tried 2 actual version of LiveCds: Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora 8. Same
effect (no decryption), except that the message was another: no masterkey with
this passphrase found (i think so).

> > Then #2 is the last possible choice.
> > Please take a look at my kernel module versions (in my earlier post). Maybe
> > there are some hints hidden.
>
> Sorry, I do not follow the details of the kernel module development.
Me, neither.

> > I am only worrying a bit, because i can encrypt and decrypt a
> > logical volume on my hda system disk. So the setup seems to be ok
> > for newly created devices on non-raids.
>
> Did you, at any time change the kernel version? If so,
> mayne get the sources for the version you used originally,
> compile your own kernel and see whether this works.
> There may indeed be a bug in some versions of a
> kernel hash or cipher module.
I changed the kernel after the problems occured. I already tried to install the
old system, but i have to always get cryptsetup / dmsetup from a repository,
because its not in the distribution.

I try to run an Ubuntu6.10 LiveCD now, and check it once more.

DP